Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Bob RobertsBob Roberts

This forum is for general questions and information relating to environmental issues within golf clubs.

Bob RobertsBob Roberts

The National Lottery Community Fund has a funding stream entitled the “CLIMATE ACTION FUND”. They are looking for ‘projects that focus on the link between nature and climate change.’
    Please visit the link below
    https://www.tnlcommunityfund.org.uk/funding/programmes/climate-action-fund-programme.

Bob RobertsBob Roberts

Thanks, Peter. Are there any other clubs out there that have a ‘director’ (or equivalent) on the board?

Adi PorterAdi Porter
    Participant

Hi All
    Can anyone recommend a local tree surveyor that would asses some large Ash trees at Greetham Valley.
    Many thanks
    Adi.

Bob RobertsBob Roberts

Hi Adi

I know a guy in my village who runs a forestry consultancy business. His name is Graham Garratt. His business is called ISIS Forestry services, I think.
    I would thoroughly recommend him.
    Mention my name.

Bob

Adi PorterAdi Porter
    Participant

Thanks Bob, I’ll look him up. 👌

Bob RobertsBob Roberts

BADGERS…. WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT BADGERS?
    Are there any ideas/solutions out there?

Adi PorterAdi Porter
    Participant

Hi Bob.
    We have several badger sets on our site and they do cause us issues. I have tried feeding them nuts and bananas to keep them in a particular area so they don’t go foraging, not sure it’s a solution as I was then told the more food they have the more they breed, so I stopped. I guess the trick is to just feed enough to sustain the numbers in the set.
    You can apply to have them re sited, but I think this can be expensive.

Adi.

Peter HaddonPeter Haddon
    Participant

Hi Bob,
    As badgers do most, if not all, of their damage in the dark any form of light should be a deterrent. I used to badger watch at Johns Lee Wood nr Newtown Linford, Leics. and we coaxed them from their holt with little Yorkshire puddings. They only have one litter a year so feeding them shouldn’t make any difference to numbers. It might just curtail their looking for food elsewhere?

Pete H.

Peter HaddonPeter Haddon
    Participant

Amendment to above, When writing the above statement we discussed badger setts and otter holts and inadvertently used holt instead of sett for the badgers home

Ken MooreKen Moore
    Participant

Charnwood Forest have at least seven active setts on the course and with 6 – 10 badgers per sett that means we have a lot of damage. Currently we are using low electric fences to keep them away from the certain greens and tees which has meant that we divert them onto the fairways!!! Any advice would be appreciated.

Ken Moore

Adi PorterAdi Porter
    Participant

Hi Bob.
    I know most things can be found on the internet, but do you think it would be a good idea to have on the website a template/pattern for making bird boxes, bat boxes, owl boxes etc.

Regards
    Adi.

FrankLockFrankLock
    Participant

Hi all,
    we also have badger issues at Humberstone we have several setts as well as satellite setts.
    I wrote to the LCC environmental officer to see if some could be could be re-sited by DEFRA –
    Response:- I am aware of the ongoing issues with badger damage on the course and put these to Natural England (Statutory Nature Conservation Organisation) during late 2020 to help manage the situation. I have included their response to this email for reference.

Ultimately, Natural England do not believe “any sett interference, such as excluding the badgers from the sett would help the situation as it would only displace them and would not necessarily halt the foraging damage. Furthermore, licences for this kind of work are only granted for the purpose of preventing serious damage, whereas they class foraging damage to amenity grassland as nuisance.”

Our greenkeepers have had some success with garlic granules/spray

Regards
    Frank Lock

Janet Hartley ByngJanet Hartley Byng
    Participant

Hi All
    Ullesthorpe GC was experiencing a lot of damage on and around the greens, and last year introduced some solar-powered floodlights, two or three being located around each green. These have proved highly successful. The panels and floodlights are actually quite small and mounted on posts, so do not interfere with golf. I am going to take some photos, and will be placing these in the case studies section.
    Janet

Adi PorterAdi Porter
    Participant

Great feedback Janet.
    Look forward to seeing those pics..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.